The ancient proverb is true. Our hips do not lie.
When they’re not working correctly, we know it. They don’t suck it up and soldier on. They tell us how they’re feeling in the moment. I guess honesty is a noble quality.
As a chiropractor for hip pain, I know the debilitating consequences it can cause for my patients. Hip pain relief exercises are crucial to keep us going! Our hips are a part of almost every move we make.
Their ubiquity (yes, I took the SATs, thanks for asking) is why their dysfunction is highly noticeable. Hip pain turns our swagger into a stagger, and our sassy dance moves into an awkward rendition of Snowball at a junior high dance.
Hip pain is caused by:
- Referred Pain
- Joint Dysfunction
Our hips constantly walk a tightrope, balancing between the worlds of strength and mobility. Chronic hip pain is common due to the joint’s range of motion and how much weight it must bear. When either of these crucial functions is compromised, hip pain rears its maniacal head.
The body works as a single unit. A misalignment in the hip joint, bursitis, or arthritis can cause the entire body to compensate, leading to knee, ankle, and lower back issues. Conversely, a spinal subluxation, uneven leg length, or muscle tension can cause hip pain. Our hips will know if our body is unbalanced, and they’ll tell us the truth.
Strengthening exercises and stretches are crucial to hip pain relief and preventing hip pain. Custom therapeutic exercises are a part of every successful hip pain treatment, of which there are many if I do say so myself. Strong muscles stabilize the hip, keeping it healthy and improving joint mobility.
Here are some great hip strengthening exercises we provide patients for fast hip pain relief. My accountant advised me not to give these away for free, but I’m more of an altruist than that grouch.
Hip Flexor Stretch
- Kneel on the right knee with the left foot in front, forming a 90º angle.
- Gently shift weight forward, keeping the back straight, until feeling a stretch in the front of the right hip.
- Hold for 15-30 seconds, then switch sides.
- Sit in a chair and cross the right ankle over the left leg, forming a figure-four shape.
- Lean forward with a straight back, until feeling a stretch in the right hip.
- Hold for 15-30 seconds, then switch sides.
- Lie on a side with knees bent and stacked.
- With feet together, lift the top knee toward the ceiling while keeping the pelvis stable.
- Lower the knee back down.
- Perform two sets of 10-15 reps on each side.
- Check each pocket for pearls.
- Make a necklace for Mom.
- Win the award for favorite child.
- Receive 100% of the inheritance.
- Hire a butler and never use hips again.
- Stand with back against a wall and feet hip-width apart.
- Slide down the wall, bending knees, to a seated position.
- Hold for 10-15 seconds and then return to the starting position.
- This is an excellent opportunity to work on miming skills. Pull up a table and have a tea party. Or pretend to be a NASA engineer at the computers in Houston. We should mime for the job we want, not the job we have.
- Lie down in your gym crush’s eyesight with knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Lift hips toward the ceiling, squeezing glutes at the top.
- Hold for a moment and then lower hips back down.
- Perform two sets of 10-15 reps.
Double Hip Rotation
- Lie flat on the back. Bend knees and bring them toward the body until feet are flat on the floor.
- Gently rotate knees to the left, lowering them to the floor. Rotate head to face the right while keeping the shoulders against the floor.
- Hold for 20-30 seconds.
- Slowly return head and knees to the starting position.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
Standing Leg Raise
- Stand with feet hip-width apart.
- Lift the right leg straight out to the side, keeping it in line with the hip.
- Lower leg back down and repeat on the other side.
- Perform two sets of 10-15 reps on each side, or until you can do this:
These hip pain relief exercises are here to help, but if pain persists, more help is just a call or click away. A structural problem causing hip pain, like an unbalanced pelvis, leg length discrepancy, or compensation for pain or tension in another part of the body, can only be solved with a structural solution.
Chiropractic care not only optimizes the nervous system for faster healing and a better functioning body overall, but it also balances the musculoskeletal structure to prevent injury, joint degeneration, and the need for hip replacement surgery.
I know, it’s pretty amazing! That’s why I’ve devoted my life to it! We use treatment options like…
- Chiropractic Adjustments
- Massage Therapy
- Active Release Technique
- Graston Technique
- Deep Tissue Laser
- Custom Therapeutic Exercises
…to restore musculoskeletal balance, enhance mobility, build strength, and reconnect the brain with the rest of the body. This approach provides a holistic treatment to relieve hip pain and prevent it from returning. It’s a no-brainer!
Give us a call or schedule an appointment with one of our amazing doctors. We’ll help you get your swagger back!